Drew Gregory, “BasserDrew” to many, is a professional kayak angler and an expert in bass fishing America’s rivers and creeks. Drew hails from Atlanta, GA, and currently resides in Charlotte, North Carolina. He has been river fishing since he could handle a rod and reel, but for the past ten years has been pioneering the sport of kayak fishing in freshwater rivers. Standing up and fishing out of his signature series watercraft, the Jackson Kayak Coosa for any fish that lives in hard to reach, wild water, is his passion.
Drew got into the sport of kayak fishing when he was still in college, because it was cheaper and more intriguing than traditional boat
and lake fishing. Since then, his knowledge and passion for the sport has flourished due to the fact that it easier on the wallet, the environment, better for health and fitness, and a sport that is simply more fun than traditional boat fishing. Drew is passionate about finding new, unexplored water where big fish abound, and will stop at nothing to get to them which sometimes makes for some crazy adventures!
In 2008 he launched RiverBassin.com, a community of river bass fisherman who also share the passion of floating rivers in predominantly paddle powered watercraft. He started and ran a successful tournament trail for 2 years called the River Bassin Tournament Trail, that, in its final season had 12 tournament stops across the US. He has recently focused his efforts, where his passion lies with young people, by starting CollegeKayakFishing.com, which allows college kayak anglers to compete for prizes, scholarships and the chance to win a national
championship for their college.
Drew has also been known within, and outside of fishing circles for his now famous goose attack viral video. In early 2010 Drew was
fishing in his kayak, and filming as usual, when a goose decided to take a ride on his back! Yes, the hilarity that ensued has now been aired on all major networks, national and local news and made the late night show rounds as well.
Drew’s Notable Fishing Stats & Media
- Sponsored by major brands including Jackson Kayak, GoPro, Sperry Shoes, LifeProof iphone cases, Daiwa rods/reels and many more that can be seen here.
- Spotlighted/Featured in Men’s Journal Magazine (November ’09), Bassmaster Magazine (July/August ’09), ESPN.com (May ’09), Georgia Outdoor News (Nov. ’08) , Kayak Angler Magazine (Feb. ’09) and KayakFishingMagazine.net (Feb ’09) South Carolina Sportsman (May ’09) , Pro Angler Radio Show (June ’09) (September ’09), The Today Show (Feb ’10), Fox & Friends Morning Show (Feb ’10), ESPN’s SportsNation, The Jay Leno Show (Feb ’10) Travel Channel (Jan ’11), Discovery Channel (May ’11), CSS Sportsnite (July ’11), MSNBC (April ’12), Animal Planet (Augusgt ’12), FOX’s “Got Game” Sports Wrap-up Show (September ’12), Outdoor Channel’s “Fishing University” (March ’13)
- In 2012 he was nominated and placed 2nd for “Kayak Angler of the Year” at the Kayak Angler’s Choice Awards.
- His video “Flying Fish” won “Kayak Fishing Video of the Year” at the 2012 Kayak Angler Choice Awards.
- His invention of the “hi/lo” seat for Jackson Kayak won “Innovation of the Year” at the 2012 Kayak Angler Choice Awards
- His Jackson Kayak Cuda 14 kayak placed 2nd in “Kayak of the Year” in the 2012 Kayak Angler Choice Awards
- Featured speaker at Bass Pro Shops, Houston Fishing Show, Chicago Boat Show, Chicago Great American Outdoor Show, Canoecopia, Outdoor Retailer Trade Show, Jersey Paddlesports Show, Philadephia’s Hunting & Fishing Expo, Atlanta Boat Show, Old Florida Outdoor Festival, East Coast Canoe & Kayak Festival, churches and schools.
- Over 750 kayak fishing trips logged
- Former champion of Flint River leg of the georgia kayak fishing tournament trail